New Jersey News
New Jersey couple gets 6 months in jail for Sammy the Dog cruelty case
BRICK TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- A couple in New Jersey was sentenced Monday to six months in jail after pleading guilty to mistreating their dog and leaving it tied up in a trash bag.
Keith Morgan, 56, was touted as a hero after claiming he found 15-year old 'Sammy' in a bag on the side of a road before bringing it to a shelter in March.
But investigators soon learned the dog was his, and he and his wife Ewing, 43, were charged with animal cruelty and filing a false police report.
The pooch was covered in urine, and his fur was so matted together that he couldn't stand.
Sammy the Cocker Spaniel has since recovered.
In addition to the six months in jail, the couple must also pay a $1,000 fine and $13,000 in restitution to the Red Bank Veterinary Hospital. They are also both barred from ever owning a dog again.
At the time they pleaded guilty, about 70 people showed up in court in support of Sammy, wearing T-shirts with his picture on the front.
new jersey news, new jersey, animal abuse, brick, animals, new jersey news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident 10 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 48 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 49 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
18 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos