New Jersey News
New Jersey couple gets 6 months in jail for Sammy the Dog cruelty case
BRICK TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- A couple in New Jersey was sentenced Monday to six months in jail after pleading guilty to mistreating their dog and leaving it tied up in a trash bag.
Keith Morgan, 56, was touted as a hero after claiming he found 15-year old 'Sammy' in a bag on the side of a road before bringing it to a shelter in March.
But investigators soon learned the dog was his, and he and his wife Ewing, 43, were charged with animal cruelty and filing a false police report.
The pooch was covered in urine, and his fur was so matted together that he couldn't stand.
Sammy the Cocker Spaniel has since recovered.
In addition to the six months in jail, the couple must also pay a $1,000 fine and $13,000 in restitution to the Red Bank Veterinary Hospital. They are also both barred from ever owning a dog again.
At the time they pleaded guilty, about 70 people showed up in court in support of Sammy, wearing T-shirts with his picture on the front.
new jersey news, new jersey, animal abuse, brick, animals, new jersey news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash