New Jersey News
Eighth case of meningitis reported at Princeton
PRINCETON, N.J. (WABC) -- There's another case of meningitis on the campus of Princeton University.
Eight people have now gotten sick.
In this latest case, a student was hospitalized Thursday.
Princeton University wasted no time getting the word out to students.
"I've heard a lot about it. This is the eighth case, people are being careful now," said Tyler Lussi, a freshman.
The school released a statement that says in part, "Health officials will be conducting tests to determine if this latest case is related to the seven cases of meningitis associated with the university since March."
The strain is called Serotype B. The meningitis vaccine that students are required to have before enrolling does not protect against it.
So Princeton has sent for a vaccine from overseas, and the Centers for Disease Control has approved it.
"It reminds me we need to get the vaccine. I trust the European companies so I'm probably going to get it," said Nina Wade, a freshman.
"I read an article that says 75% of the students want it, so that may help reduce it," said Carlos Sotelo, a freshman.
In the meantime, students say they are taking precautions to stay healthy.
"Just washing your hands more, trying to stay clean," a student said.
"Using a lot more hand sanitizer, trying to not share food and drinks as much," another student said.
new jersey news, new jersey, princeton, meningitis, new jersey news, toni yates
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 45 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- ObamaCare signups surpass 8 million mark 43 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet 17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos