New Jersey News
Jersey City fire reaches multiple alarms
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A fast-moving fire reached 4 alarms in Jersey City, threatening a restaurant, apartments and buildings next door.
The fire broke out on the top floors of a building at 343 Grove Street between Bay and Morgan just before 2:00 p.m.
An Italian restaurant, Buon Appetito, is located on the ground floor. Apartments are located above it. Some 22 people have been displaced by the fire.
The flames also spread to a building at 345 Grove Street, but fire chief Darren Rivers says some 90 firefighters are working to keep the flames from spreading beyond those buildings.
Four firefighters have suffered minor injuries. They were taken to Jersey City Medical Center.
Plumes of heavy smoke filled the air for hours. Port Authority says some smoke even reached the Grove Street PATH train station, but it dissipated. It is having no effect on PATH train service. The fire is about a block from the station.
Rivers says they have no indication what sparked the fire, but an investigation will begin once the the flames are out.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at N.J. shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Metro-North to require sleep apnea evaluation
- One dead, another rescued in Long Island fire
- Not so fast! Palcohol not approved by federal government
- Passengers step up to help elderly man in bus brawl
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Brooklyn hit and run suspect identified by police
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
10 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos