New Jersey News
Jersey City fire reaches multiple alarms
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A fast-moving fire reached 4 alarms in Jersey City, threatening a restaurant, apartments and buildings next door.
The fire broke out on the top floors of a building at 343 Grove Street between Bay and Morgan just before 2:00 p.m.
An Italian restaurant, Buon Appetito, is located on the ground floor. Apartments are located above it. Some 22 people have been displaced by the fire.
The flames also spread to a building at 345 Grove Street, but fire chief Darren Rivers says some 90 firefighters are working to keep the flames from spreading beyond those buildings.
Four firefighters have suffered minor injuries. They were taken to Jersey City Medical Center.
Plumes of heavy smoke filled the air for hours. Port Authority says some smoke even reached the Grove Street PATH train station, but it dissipated. It is having no effect on PATH train service. The fire is about a block from the station.
Rivers says they have no indication what sparked the fire, but an investigation will begin once the the flames are out.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 28 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports 16 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
38 min ago