New Jersey News
Paterson shooting leaves off-duty officer wounded
PATERSON, N.J. (WABC) -- An off-duty Essex County Sheriff's officer was shot and wounded early Sunday morning in Paterson, New Jersey.
Authorities say the officer, 37-year old Oneil Peart, was standing in front of a liquor store at 247 Straight Street at about 1:30 a.m. when he was shot in the back and side.
He was armed at the time but unable to return fire due to his injuries, according to police.
The officer is listed in stable condition.
Authorities say Peart was working at the store as a security guard and had gone outside to break up a crowd. Moments later, a vehicle pulled up and at least one person in the auto began shooting.
It's not yet known what sparked the shooting or how many shooters were involved.
Peart has worked at the sheriff's department for about six years overall.
There have been no arrests.
new jersey news, new jersey, paterson, police officer shot, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run 29 min ago
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 20 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Suspense builds for season finale of 'Scandal'
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
20 min ago