New Jersey News
Perth Amboy police shooting investigation continues
PERTH AMBOY (WABC) -- The makeshift memorial grows outside the Perth Amboy home where Dixon Rodriguez lived and violently died on Wednesday afternoon in a jail of police bullets.
"It was just 3 on a row," Michele Carrube said.
She took cellphone video from her nearby window after cops shot and killed the mentally challenged man. The acting Middlesex County prosecutor says surveillance video from a nearby bodega shows Rodriguez lunging at cops. They later apparently found a knife on him. His brother wants to see that evidence.
"If they do have evidence I would like them to bring it forward. If there is nothing to hide, it should be no problem with them bringing anything they have," Keioson Rodriguez said. "I don't believe he was violent."
Neighbors in the close-knit community are united in agreement. Rodriguez was a local and harmless fixture, they say.
"We all knew him. He never messed with anyone. You could go out at 12 o'clock and he would be here and you know he won't cause no problems," neighbor Joseph Nieves said.
"I'm devastated. There is no reason . I can't imagine why?" Carrube said.
"I don't know if they had tasers, if they had mace. Why not use a taser or mace? Why shoot him?" Victor Ramirez, neighbor, said.
A spokesman says most officers in the county do not carry tasers, adding the entire incident is under investigation.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news, sarah wallace
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014