New Jersey News
New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
BRIDGEWATER (WABC) -- A New Jersey restaurant says it has parted ways with a waitress who claimed she was stiffed for a tip because she's gay.
Last month, Dayna Morales said a family skipped the tip and left a note reading 'I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life."
Her story was later called into question when the family told news organizations they had in fact left a tip, coming forward with copies of their receipt and credit card statement.
Now the restaurant in Bridgewater, Gallop Asian Bistro, says it has made a joint decision with Morales that she will no longer be employed there.
In a statement Saturday, the restaurant said, "The Gallop Asian Bistro has taken seriously the allegations made by Ms. Dayna Morales, and those made against her. Despite news reports to the contrary, this is not a simple, straight-forward matter and we have conducted our own internal investigation. The results of that investigation are inconclusive as to exactly what happened between Ms. Morales and the customers that night."
Following the alleged incident, Morales, a Marine veteran, said "I was rather offended, mad. I didn't know how to react to that. I never thought that would ever happen.".
Morales said she kept the note that was written on the receipt and shared it with friends on Facebook and a few blogs, leading to an outpouring of support, with letters and donations from around the world.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 48 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 28 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 9 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 22 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 8 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
26 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
28 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp...
22 min ago