New Jersey News
Bloomfield fire claims woman in wheel chair
BLOOMFIELD, NJ (WABC) -- Investigators are looking for the cause of deadly fire in Bloomfield, New Jersey that killed a wheel chair bound woman.
The fire broke out around 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday at 60 Haines Street in Bloomfield.
When officers arrived at the scene, authorities say they discovered a woman in a wheel chair at the front door of the home. They managed to get her to the front lawn where they attempted unsuccessfully to revive her.
Esther Utkewicz, 65, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Her son, James Utkewicz, 44, was also discovered in the house. He was transported to Mountainside Hospital in Montclair where he remains in critical condition.
The Essex County Prosecutor's Office and Bloomfield police and fire officials are investigating the cause.
new jersey news, new jersey, bloomfield, fire, new jersey news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 1 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 4 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 26 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 5 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 29 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
29 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos