New Jersey News
Short Hills Mall shooting: Victim ID'd; Range Rover recovered
SHORT HILLS (WABC) -- The man fatally shot outside a New Jersey mall during an apparent carjacking Sunday night has been identified as a 30-year-old lawyer from Hoboken.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray and Millburn Police Chief Gregory Weber identified the victim as 30-year-old Dustin Friedland of Hoboken, who was shot in the head at approximately 9 p.m. on the second floor of the parking lot outside the Short Hills Mall.
Authorities also found the carjacked silver 2012 Range Rover with New Jersey license plate U26BVD behind an abandoned house on Renner Avenue in Newark. There was damage to the driver's side and the passenger's side, and the rear window was shattered.
Police say Friedland had just opened the passenger door for his wife and was about to get in the driver's side when he was approached by two men and shot. Witnesses described hearing three gunshots.
He was rushed to Morristown Medical Center, where he later died. The victim's wife was uninjured but was also taken to the hospital.
The couple had just finished a night of shopping. Police were investigating if the couple was targeted.
The two suspects, who are described only as African American, fled the scene driving the victims' vehicle.
The investigation remains active and ongoing. No arrests have been made.
The Essex County Sheriff's Crime Stoppers program is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the suspects in this case.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the Essex County Prosecutor's Office Homicide/Major Crimes Task Force tips line at 1-877-847-7432.
Authorities are investigating whether there is any connection to another carjacking that occurred just two hours before in South Orange, which borders Short Hills.
In that incident, the vice president of a Newark hospital was carjacked of his Land Rover after he pulled up to his home.
He got out of the vehicle and was jumped by three men, one armed with a handgun, police say. They fled in his Land Rover, along with the silver Jeep Cherokee they came in.
The victim's wife and children were present but not injured.
Authorities are also investigating possible connections to a known car ring operating in the region. The ring is believed responsible for the thefts of at least 26 luxury cars in New Jersey.
While many of the members were arrested last week, some are believed to be still operating.
new jersey news, new jersey, shooting, new jersey news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 30 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 43 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos