New Jersey News
Jersey City water main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Another water main broke in Jersey City Thursday morning, with a boil water advisory still in effect after Wednesday's break.
The new break or service leak is near the intersection of Communipaw Avenue and Berry Lane.
United Water crews are working to excavate the site to determine the extent of the repair.
Officials anticipate 11 residences, six commercial buildings and one church will be without water service until repairs can be completed.
Additionally, the boil water advisory issued as a precautionary measure for residents and businesses in the downtown area outside of Newport remains in effect until further notice.
Residents should boil tap water for at least one minute if it is to be used for drinking, brushing teeth or for pets. Water does not have to be boiled for the following activities: showering, washing dishes or clothes.
Overnight, United Water completed repairs to the main break that occurred on Coles Street between 3rd and 4th streets Wednesday.
Emergency crews worked throughout the night to restore water service to the affected residences.
Work continues to a main break that occurred on 3rd Street between Coles and Jersey avenues, with a water tanker truck is onsite to provide drinking water for affected residents.
As for the main break, United Water emergency crews pinpointed the 12-inch water main break at intersection of Grove Street and Grand Street. The location is in front of the Boys and Girls Club building.
"We understand that this leak presents an inconvenience to our customers," manager of operations John Hroncich said. "Our only priority is to restore full service back to the area. Employees are diligently working with the City and the Jersey City MUA to resolve the situation as quickly and safely as possible."
new jersey news, new jersey, jersey city, water main break, new jersey news
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 57 min ago
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
30 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos