New Jersey News
Newark NJ Transit bus-yellow cab collision leaves 10 hurt
Newark (WABC) -- Ten people were injured after a taxi driver hit a bus and both vehicles ended up in a row of businesses in Newark early Thursday.
The crash happened on Market Street around 12:30 a.m., with the No. 21 bus traveling east toward Newark-Penn Station.
Following the collision, the New Jersey Transit bus careened onto the sidewalk and smashed into the facade of a commercial building. The store, an old furniture warehouse and department store that is about 100 years old and has been vacant for years, was in bad shape to begin with, and plywood and the metal security gate came crashing down on the bus.
The impact caused severe structural damage, and it is believed that the bus is the only thing keeping the building from collapsing. Engineers say the columns are all cracked and the bus is supporting the entire structure.
It is likely that the building will have to come down, as it poses a hazard to the neighborhood. Engineering is reaching out to Neighborhood Services to in turn reach out to the landlords, tenants and relevant insurance companies.
The taxi was also a crumpled mess, the front of the yellow cab completely crushed.
The drivers of the vehicles, along with eight bus passengers, were treated at the scene and transported to University of Medicine and Dentistry Hospital for medical treatment.
The driver of the bus suffered a head injury, but has since been treated and released. The remaining victims all suffered non-life threatening injuries.
This investigation is ongoing. It is unclear how many passengers were on the bus at the time or the circumstances of the crash.
new jersey news, new jersey, newark, accident, bus accident, new jersey news
- Hospital notifies thousands of possible blood contamination 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos