New Jersey News
Short Hills mall murder suspect handed over to state
NEWARK (WABC) -- Federal authorities have cleared the way for one of the four men accused in the fatal carjacking at the Mall at Short Hills to be charged by New Jersey authorities.
A hearing was held Monday in federal court in Newark to dismiss an unlawful flight from prosecution charge that had been brought against Basim Henry, who was arrested in Pennsylvania. The charge was for a violation of his supervised release for a 2006 robbery conviction.
The 32-year-old Newark resident was immediately turned over to Essex County authorities to face murder and other charges in the fatal carjacking of Hoboken lawyer Dustin Friedland on Dec. 15.
A federal public defender represented Henry. He and three others are each being held on $2 million bail.
Henry was arrested at a hotel in Pennsylvania over the weekend.
Authorities say a co-conspirator told them Henry drove a getaway vehicle that surveillance video showed was registered to Henry's mother.
All four suspects are charged with murder, felony murder, carjacking, conspiracy, possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose.
They're accused of shooting 30-year-old Dustin Friedland in the head at The Mall at Short Hills and driving off in his silver Range Rover, which was found the next morning in Newark.
The other three suspects are identified as 29-year-old Hanif Thompson, 31-year-old Karif Ford and 33-year-old Kevin Roberts.
They will be arraigned on Wednesday, January 8th, 2014 at 9 a.m.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new jersey news, new jersey, carjacking, new jersey news
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 42 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 10 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for radar data to help find jet
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
34 min ago