New Jersey News
Man on tarmac at Newark Airport
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- In New Jersey, a man was arrested Wednesday after authorities found him on the tarmac of Newark Liberty Airport.
It is still not clear how a man was able to get over a Newark Airport security fence, cross the tarmac, and wind up at terminal C.
"I'm glad they got him. I'm glad the procedure is in place to get him. Its mind boggling to think how he got out there in the first place," said Brian Raines, an airline passenger.
Port Authority police have identified a 24-year-old Siyah Bryant of Jersey City as the man behind the security breach. Although they say he was dressed like a woman and had been to a party, when the car in which he was a passenger broke down, just outside the airport.
There's no word on what made him think he should climb the fence and go inside.
"Well, it makes me think that security somewhere is lax, but at the same time, it's kind of amusing," said Don Lacourse, an airline passenger.
But authorities are not laughing. The PAPD says it took an unacceptably long time for officers to locate and arrest the intruder.
They say the electronic security system worked as it should. A statement goes on to say: "An alarm was signaled and the cameras captured an image of an individual coming over the fence. The investigation is now focusing on the actions of the third-party operator who monitors the camera and the alarms. The investigation will continue until we have answers regarding this matter."
"If somebody could walk across the tarmac, they're doing something wrong," said Nick Casale, a security expert.
Nick Casale is a former director of counter terrorism for the MTA.
"If he could walk across it, so could a group of terrorists, who want to enter the aircraft, blow up the aircraft, which is probably the most serious breach is to attack aircraft on the ground," Casale said.
new jersey news, new jersey, airport security, newark liberty international airport, newark international airport, new jersey news, art mcfarland
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn 21 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust 55 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97