New Jersey News
Man killed in latest in string of Newark murders
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who shot and killed a man after an argument at a Newark home.
Anthony Ambrose, chief of detectives for the Essex County Prosecutor's Office, says 39-year-old Jose Alfaro was shot around 6 p.m. Saturday in the 700 block of Mount Prospect Avenue.
No other injuries were reported.
The shooting caps a violent week in the Newark area, with six people fatally shot since Christmas Day.
On Wednesday morning, three people were shot and killed outside a bar in nearby Irvington. The victims included the son of the bar's owner and a bouncer.
That night, two teenagers were killed when they were caught in the crossfire of a shooting in the South Ward.
One of them, a 13-year old girl, was taking out the trash when she was shot.
The gunmen in both shootings remain on the loose.
Newark has seen an overall jump in homicides in 2013, with over 100 this year. The last time the city reached double digits in murders was 2006, according to police department statistics.
The homicide total fell to 67 in 2008, a decrease that coincided with a heightened focus on violent crime after the grisly killings of three college-bound friends behind an elementary school in the summer of 2007 made national headlines.
Besides more aggressive policing of so-called quality-of-life crimes, millions of dollars in donations helped Newark police install surveillance cameras and a gunshot detection system in high-crime areas. In recent years, however, the murder rate has climbed back up to its pre-2008 levels.
Some of the city's community leaders are intensifying efforts to bring more federal money into Newark for public safety.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new jersey news, new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 3 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
31 min ago