New Jersey News
Jersey City man killed when car plunges into water
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A Jersey City man was killed early Wednesday when the car he was in plunged into a canal.
Divers from the NYPD's dive team pulled the body of 22-year old Mark Pych from the water near Liberty State Park.
Eyewitnesses say the car was speeding on Marin Boulevard, smashed into a barrier and then went into the icy water just before 3:30 a.m.
Investigators sent more divers into the water for an extensive search for any other victims.
A witness had reported seeing other people in the car shortly before the crash occurred, but authorities say that proved inaccurate.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
Authorities say it's being probed as an accident, not a criminal investigation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new jersey news, new jersey, jersey city, body found, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities 43 min ago
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate 24 min ago
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams