New Jersey News
Jersey City man killed when car plunges into water
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A Jersey City man was killed early Wednesday when the car he was in plunged into a canal.
Divers from the NYPD's dive team pulled the body of 22-year old Mark Pych from the water near Liberty State Park.
Eyewitnesses say the car was speeding on Marin Boulevard, smashed into a barrier and then went into the icy water just before 3:30 a.m.
Investigators sent more divers into the water for an extensive search for any other victims.
A witness had reported seeing other people in the car shortly before the crash occurred, but authorities say that proved inaccurate.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
Authorities say it's being probed as an accident, not a criminal investigation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new jersey news, new jersey, jersey city, body found, new jersey news
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Russian media warns of turning US into 'radioactive dust'
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon