New Jersey News
Transformer fire at switching station in Branchburg
BRANCHBURG, N.J. (WABC) -- PSE&G says there is a transformer fire at the switching station on Route 202 in Branchburg.
There was an equipment failure inside a transformer that caused the fire.
This is an unmanned station so no one was there or injured when this happened.
No customers have lost power.
These transformers are filled with a form of oil that will burn for a while. Residents should know the oil is a more ecologically friendly form that is not reported to be toxic.
A special fire fighting apparatus is being called in that will cover the fire with a foam that will extinguish the fire. The fire is isolated and poses no threat to the remainder of the station or surrounding residents.
DOT says the northbound lanes of Route 202 are shut down at Old York Road.
Fire services will be present on site until the situation is controlled.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97