New Jersey News
Missing Wayne couple found dead in garage
WAYNE -- Prosecutors say a young couple who went missing late last month have been found dead in a garage in Wayne.
However, it is not yet known what caused the deaths of 24-year-old Garfield resident Jorge Rodriguez and his 25-year-old girlfriend, Melissa Pereira. They were found around 11:15 a.m. in Wayne, but authorities would not provide further details.
The couple was last seen leaving Pereira's home in Wayne on Dec. 27.
Authorities have said they were headed to a Pennsylvania bed and breakfast, where they had made New Year's Eve reservations. They were reported missing Dec. 30.
Passaic County Assistant Prosecutor Michael DeMarco told The Star-Ledger that investigators are awaiting the results of an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of the deaths.
When reached at Pereira's home on Sunday night, a man who identified himself as her uncle told the newspaper that the family is simply waiting for answers.
"At this point we're just still in shock and we're just trying to wait for what the medical examiners are going to say," the man said. "Just in shock."
Attempts to reach the Rodriguez family were unsuccessful.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 57 min ago
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Man says he was unjustly pepper sprayed by police
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing Muslim girl 55 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos