New Jersey News
Missing Wayne couple found dead in garage
WAYNE -- Prosecutors say a young couple who went missing late last month have been found dead in a garage in Wayne.
However, it is not yet known what caused the deaths of 24-year-old Garfield resident Jorge Rodriguez and his 25-year-old girlfriend, Melissa Pereira. They were found around 11:15 a.m. in Wayne, but authorities would not provide further details.
The couple was last seen leaving Pereira's home in Wayne on Dec. 27.
Authorities have said they were headed to a Pennsylvania bed and breakfast, where they had made New Year's Eve reservations. They were reported missing Dec. 30.
Passaic County Assistant Prosecutor Michael DeMarco told The Star-Ledger that investigators are awaiting the results of an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of the deaths.
When reached at Pereira's home on Sunday night, a man who identified himself as her uncle told the newspaper that the family is simply waiting for answers.
"At this point we're just still in shock and we're just trying to wait for what the medical examiners are going to say," the man said. "Just in shock."
Attempts to reach the Rodriguez family were unsuccessful.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 90-minute delays after LIRR service suspension 29 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 17 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians 32 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
17 min ago