New Jersey News
5-alarm Elizabeth fire tears through row of stores
ELIZABETH (WABC) -- A massive fire burned out of control for hours in Elizabeth, New Jersey, Thursday morning.
The blaze broke out at a business, possibly a Chinese restaurant, on South Broad Street near Summer Street around 5:30 a.m. and quickly grew to five alarms, spreading to an entire row of stores that were completely engulfed.
Half of the block was on fire, with flames shooting through the roofs of the one-story buildings. Fire officials said the main fire was contained to the building of origin, which suffered a collapse. No firefighters were inside at the time.
In addition to the flames, firefighters also battled cold weather and freezing conditions.
The fire affected traffic, as it was located near Routes 1&9 just north of the Bayway Circle. It is a heavily traveled roadway, particularly those heading to or from Newark Airport.
So far, there are no reports of any injuries and the flames had not spread to nearby residential buildings. Some residents were evacuated as a precaution.
new jersey news, new jersey, elizabeth, fire, new jersey news
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer 22 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 13 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn 55 min ago
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 1 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32 8 min ago
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
53 min ago