New Jersey News
Powder mailed to hotels near Super Bowl appears to be a hoax
CARLSTADT (WABC) -- Authorities say preliminary tests showed no threat from white powder found in letters sent to hotels near the Super Bowl.
Sources said preliminary tests indicated the envelopes contained baking soda. Officials deemed the situation non-hazardous.
The letters were delivered to :
The Carlstadt Police Department says they got a call from the Econo Lodge at 11:30 a.m. saying someone going through the mail opened a letter with a suspicious powder on it.
Calls from other hotels started coming in shortly after.
Police were able to locate the mail carrier where the letters originated and intercepted additional letters headed to a Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express in Carlstadt that were never delivered. Other letters may still be out there.
" Notices went out to members statewide. There could be more letters out there. Not just in the area of MetLife Stadium," Joseph Simonetta Executive VP of the NJ Hotel and Lodging Association said. "They are encouraging everyone to not to attempt to handle or alter any suspicious envelopes and to immediately call the authorities."
Hackensack University Medical Center received a number of people for evaluation because they came in contact with the letters, but a hospital spokeswoman said there were no reported illnesses or injuries.
Police were also called to former Mayor Rudy Giuliani's consulting firm near Rockefeller Center after a worker opened the suspicious letter addressed to Giuliani around 10:30 a.m. Friday, police said. Eight mailroom workers underwent decontamination as a precaution.
A representative for Giuliani's firm did not immediately respond to a comment request.
Police say preliminary tests showed no threat from the powder found in that letter.
new jersey news, new jersey, hazmat, carlstadt, rutherford, east rutherford, new jersey news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 32 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 30 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
27 min ago