New Jersey News
Snow, ice cause problems in New Jersey
TRENTON (WABC) -- The wintry mix that created hazardous travel conditions in most of New Jersey has left behind quite a mess.
Drivers and residents are still being urged to use caution, as some slick and icy spots remain on roadways and sidewalks. And forecasters say the slippery conditions could get worse when temperatures fall back below freezing during the overnight hours.
The storm also caused numerous power outages across the state, as some power lines snapped and others were taken down by falling tree branches. Utility crews had restored service to thousands of customers by late Wednesday afternoon.
Air travelers were dealing with cancellations and delays at Newark Liberty International Airport. But NJ Transit is operating on a storm schedule, and buses and trains are cross-honoring tickets.
Gov. Chris Christie declared a state of emergency and state offices were closed for non-essential employees, as the state got snow in northern parts, sleet and freezing rain in some areas, and all rain in southern counties.
Tens of thousands of customers were without power, and schools were closed or delayed. NJ Transit operated on a storm schedule. Buses and trains were cross-honoring tickets.
snow, snow removal, snow storm, snow totals, new jersey news, new jersey, ice, ice storm, new jersey news
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement 42 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in...
42 min ago