New Jersey News
Paterson fire guts factory; No injuries reported
PATERSON, N.J. (WABC) -- Firefighters remain on the scene of a massive fire in New Jersey, battling hotspots that continue to flare up Thursday morning.
The fire broke out around 10 p.m. Thursday on George Street in Paterson at a three-story factory primarily occupied by Skorr Products, which makes equipment for caterers.
The flames quickly spread to five alarms and raged out of control for hours.
Windows around the factory were exploding from the intense heat and pressure.
Firefighters also had to battle the cold weather and freezing water in addition to the flames.
"We saw flames shooting through the roof, a couple explosions, it was roaring for awhile," Nutley volunteer firefighter Mike Lumberto said. "It was loud. It was really rumbly, too. It was coming from the roof, coming out the windows. Couple windows exploded. It was an experience."
Smoke could be seen for miles, and mutual aid from surrounding towns rushed to the scene.
No injuries were reported.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation