New Jersey News
Fort Lee considers Saturday snow day makeups
FORT LEE, N.J. (WABC) -- Delightful snow days are turning into dreadful make up days for Fort Lee students.
The school board is considering adding Saturday half days to make up for the lost class time.
By law, New Jersey districts must be in session for 180 days.
Fort lee has two days built in as snow days on its calendar, but burned through those and two more.
"The dilemma becomes, where do we pick up the lost days? Everything is on the table," said Paul Saxton, the Interim Superintendent.
Here are the options on the table: do Saturday half days, add days to the end of the school year, or eat into April break.
Parents are concerned about nixing their vacation plans and already scheduled recreational activities.
"We can deal with it, but you're taking a lot of game time from the kids," said Al Epstein, a parent.
But the district plans to work around those activities and students with religious observances would get excused absences. Board members believe the Saturday classes are their strongest choice.
"To add those days to the end of the school, most students are not interested in a hot classroom and having instruction. This makes the most sense given the parameters they have to work under," said Bruna Capalbo, of the Fort Lee Education Association.
Even still if more heavy snow comes our way, the district would have to make up even more time.
A vote on this is expected on February 24th.
new jersey news, new jersey, fort lee, snow storm, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 39 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 37 min ago
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 37 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 6 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
9 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
37 min ago