New Jersey News
Paterson building collapse blamed on accumulating snow
PATERSON (WABC) -- Investigators are blaming the weight of accumulating snow and ice for a partial building collapse in Paterson, New Jersey Sunday.
Nearby residents had to be evacuated after the roof of an abandoned factory caved in on 66 Gray Street.
Firefighters are concerned that the rest of the building could come down, and the exterior walls could collapse into the street. The area of concern is also a building on the other side of Gray Street. A demolition excavation team has been brought in to take down the unstable wall, which should take a few hours.
This comes after authorities across New Jersey advised the owners of homes and commercial buildings to remove snow from their roofs.
Dozens of roof collapses were reported across the state in recent days.
The collapses are mostly due to a series of winter storms that have socked the state in recent weeks with several inches of snow, rain and ice. Officials say the roofs were not designed to handle the stress created by the heavy, frozen precipitation.
Officials say no major injuries have been reported in any of the roof collapses. Homeowners looking to clear their roofs are advised to never stand on top of a snowy roof but instead to work from the side, using a ladder placed on solid ground and a snow rake.
new jersey news, new jersey, snow removal, snow storm, collapse, new jersey news, n.j. burkett
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 19 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014