New Jersey News
Sparta schools to reopen after roof concerns
SPARTA, NJ (WABC) -- Schools will reopen Thursday in Sparta, New Jersey after passing building inspections.
Schools dismissed early Tuesday to inspect roofs of all five school buildings because of heavy snow after a troubling discovery at one of the schools.
According to officials, a staff member observed ceiling tile falling in an annex classroom at Helen Morgan School. The ceiling tile was removed by custodial staff and the roof inspected.
Roof inspection revealed a structure issue with one of the supporting roof trusses. All students in the annex area of the building were immediately relocated to the cafeteria.
The decision was then made to dismiss schools early and begin inspecting the roofs.
Schools were closed Wednesday while workers cleared snow from the roofs, and the buildings were deemed safe.
Superintendent of Schools, Mr. Dennis Tobin released a statement saying that classes would not resume until Thursday, " Our school engineer along with school personnel will continue to inspect and evaluate the roof structure at the Helen Morgan School along with the roofs at our four other school buildings throughout the day on Wednesday. In addition, we are in the process of removing snow and ice from identified roof areas in the school district. Our goal is to reopen schools on Thursday, February 20th. My office realizes the importance of getting our students back in the classroom and minimizing the disruptions of instruction and student learning. However, with that being said, the safety of our students and staff must continue to be our number one priority. Our custodial and maintenance staff will be working around the clock to address these issues and return to our normal school schedule. I will provide an update to our students, staff and parents tomorrow afternoon regarding the status of the reopening of our schools. Everyone have a safe and enjoyable evening!"
More information at www.sparta.org
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos