New Jersey News
Barge arrives in New Jersey with coveted road salt
NEWARK -- A barge carrying much-needed road salt arrived in New Jersey Tuesday ahead of the latest winter storm.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey confirms the barge carrying 9,500 tons of road salt has arrived from Maine to Port Newark and likely will be off-loaded on Wednesday.
State transportation officials have said New Jersey's supply of road salt is dangerously low due to numerous winter storms this season.
A DOT spokesman said last week that the state had used more than 100,000 tons more salt by early February than in all of last winter.
The spokesman said a big storm can use up to 20,000 tons.
A separate cargo ship brought salt from Chile last week.
new jersey news, new jersey, snow, new jersey news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 1 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks 41 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
1 min ago