New Jersey News
Barge arrives in New Jersey with coveted road salt
NEWARK -- A barge carrying much-needed road salt arrived in New Jersey Tuesday ahead of the latest winter storm.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey confirms the barge carrying 9,500 tons of road salt has arrived from Maine to Port Newark and likely will be off-loaded on Wednesday.
State transportation officials have said New Jersey's supply of road salt is dangerously low due to numerous winter storms this season.
A DOT spokesman said last week that the state had used more than 100,000 tons more salt by early February than in all of last winter.
The spokesman said a big storm can use up to 20,000 tons.
A separate cargo ship brought salt from Chile last week.
new jersey news, new jersey, snow, new jersey news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen