New York News
Trustee for Madoff victims files 40 lawsuits in NY
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The trustee working to recover money for victims fleeced by Bernard Madoff says he has filed 40 lawsuits in Manhattan federal court against former employees of the disgraced financier's company and his relatives.
Trustee Irving H. Picard says 22 lawsuits were filed against relatives of both Madoff and his wife, Ruth.
Her attorney didn't immediately respond to an e-mailed request for comment Friday night.
Eighteen lawsuits were filed against former employees of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.
Picard says his firm is seeking about $69 million in funds deposited by the company's customers and stolen in the 72-year-old's vast Ponzi scheme.
Madoff is serving a 150-year sentence after confessing to the decades-long scheme.
An estimated $20 billion was lost, making it the biggest investment fraud in U.S. history.
new york city, bernie madoff, lawsuit, new york news
- At least 2 dead, 64 hurt in East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem 2 min ago
- Before East Harlem Explosion, resident remembers gas smell 4 min ago
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media 22 min ago
- Video: Dozens injured in East Harlem explosion 14 min ago
- Video: Damages throught neighborhood after East... 14 min ago
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 9 min ago
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
25 min ago
- Missing Malaysian plane's last...
56 min ago