New York News
Protests over Cathie Black as schools chancellor
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The long holiday weekend did nothing to stem the tide of protests surrounding Mayor Bloomberg's appointment of Cathie Black as the chancellor of New York City schools.
On Saturday, protestors hit the streets of Brooklyn. Sunday, there were protests in Lower Manhattan.
Within 36 hours a new movement called the 'Deny Waiver Coalition' has been born.
"The mayor was cynical enough to submit this waiver, right as the holiday weekend began thinking we'd all roll over and not pay attention. But we're here. And we're going to be here everyday," parent Chris Owens said.
A group of community leaders, parents, and teachers met Sunday afternoon on the steps of the Tweed Courthouse. They are pledging to stop the appointment of Cathie Black as chancellor of New York City schools.
"The issue of the waiver for Cathleen Black presents serious and substantial legal questions," Civil Rights attorney Norman Siegel said.
On Friday, Mayor Bloomberg sent a letter to State Education Commissioner David Steiner, proposing a compromise; that Cathie Black would appoint the now deputy chancellor, Shael Polakow-Suransky, for accountability and performance.
Polakow-Suransky would serve as her second in command if she got the top slot.
Education Commissioner David Steiner is expected to grant the waiver Monday.
new york city, cathie black, michael bloomberg, new york city department of education, new york news, darla miles
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 20 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store
- Man found alive in body bag dies weeks later 51 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead
50 min ago