New York News
Protests over Cathie Black as schools chancellor
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The long holiday weekend did nothing to stem the tide of protests surrounding Mayor Bloomberg's appointment of Cathie Black as the chancellor of New York City schools.
On Saturday, protestors hit the streets of Brooklyn. Sunday, there were protests in Lower Manhattan.
Within 36 hours a new movement called the 'Deny Waiver Coalition' has been born.
"The mayor was cynical enough to submit this waiver, right as the holiday weekend began thinking we'd all roll over and not pay attention. But we're here. And we're going to be here everyday," parent Chris Owens said.
A group of community leaders, parents, and teachers met Sunday afternoon on the steps of the Tweed Courthouse. They are pledging to stop the appointment of Cathie Black as chancellor of New York City schools.
"The issue of the waiver for Cathleen Black presents serious and substantial legal questions," Civil Rights attorney Norman Siegel said.
On Friday, Mayor Bloomberg sent a letter to State Education Commissioner David Steiner, proposing a compromise; that Cathie Black would appoint the now deputy chancellor, Shael Polakow-Suransky, for accountability and performance.
Polakow-Suransky would serve as her second in command if she got the top slot.
Education Commissioner David Steiner is expected to grant the waiver Monday.
new york city, cathie black, michael bloomberg, new york city department of education, new york news, darla miles
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 6 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified 29 min ago
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV 40 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
6 min ago