New York News
NY students break dreidel-spinning record
NEW YORK -- All they want for Hanukkah is a new world record - and they apparently got it.
Two Yeshiva University students led the effort to beat the current holder of the top place for dreidel spinning in the Guinness Book of World Records.
A university spokesman says the two students, along with 616 others, set a new record of 618 simultaneously spinning dreidels on Tuesday night. The old record was 541. It happened at the school's athletic center at 184th Street and Amsterdam Avenue.
The "Dreidelpalooza" event is also a scholarship fundraising event.
The record for spinning the four-sided tops was set five years ago in New Jersey.
Guinness must still certify the dreidel record to make it official.
new york city, new york news
- Worker trapped in waist-deep mud in Queens trench 13 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver 53 min ago
- Stabbing reported near Times Square 24 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush 22 min ago
- 2 dead in double shootingi in NJ doctor's office
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
24 min ago
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
22 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
42 min ago