New York News
Ice pick-wielding man robbing women in elevators
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There is growing concern over a brazen thief robbing women in elevators, sometimes while brandishing an ice pick.
Police say the man struck four times in just three weeks in the Bronx and Manhattan. Now, authorities have released images of the suspect and are warning residents to be on high alert.
Three of the incidents happened around Co-Op City in the Bronx, while the most recent incident, which occurred just last week, happened in Peter Cooper Village in Manhattan.
Police say the man follows women into elevators and then threatens them with a knife or ice pick before stealing cell phones, jewelry, shopping bags and cash.
"We just know to be more careful," Bronx resident Leilani Soto said. "Everyone was notified to be more careful. Not be alone, especially if you're a female in the elevator at night, because that's what we were told, that it's happened late night, usually, catches you in the elevator."
Police have posted wanted signs throughout Co-Op City, hoping someone will take a second glance, recognize the thief and turn him in.
He is described as being in his 40s, about 6-foot tall and 250 pounds, with a close-cut beard and a green jacket.
Police ask anyone with information about the suspect to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS.
You can also submit your tips by logging onto Crime Stoppers website at NYPDCrimeStoppers.com or by texting your tips to CRIMES (274637), and then entering TIP577.
All calls are strictly confidential.
new york city, robbery, east village, bronx, new york news
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players 11 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case 1 min ago
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos