New York News
Hospital worker accused of stealing millions
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The suspect, according to court documents, was making 37-thousand dollars a year, but investigators reveal he was living the high life.
Working as a receiving clerk at Memorial Sloan-Kettering's outpatient facility, 31-year old Marque Gumbs is accused of stealing more than a million dollars.
Investigators believe it could be as much as 3.8-million dollars, Eyewitness news has learned, over the last three years.
A criminal complaint revealed Gumbs, as part of his job, was ordering toner ink cartridges from Office Depot, then selling them elsewhere.
Instead of having those orders delivered to a second floor receiving site, the complaint says the orders would be diverted to another area. Gumbs allegedly would sometimes even meet the delivery out on the street.
During one period from October of last year to August of this year, Gumbs is accused of ordering more than 1.2-million dollars of toner, which according to the complaint "...was not compatible with any machine..." in the facility.
Hospital officials say they brought the matter to the attention of police.
The investigation found that Gumbs purchased a 2011 BMW X-6 by putting down a deposit of 50-thousand, 500 dollars.
Investigators say in Bank of Amercia account statements, they discovered nearly 150-thousand dollars in deposits.
Condos in the plush Trump Tower in New Rochelle are said to range from 700,000 to nearly 2-million dollars. Investigators say Gumbs lived on the 30th floor.
Gumbs was arraigned on a charge of grand larceny. He was held on 100-thousand dollars bail.
new york city, new rochelle, memorial sloan-kettering cancer center, crime, theft, new york news, tim fleischer
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl 59 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 31 min ago
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- NY state Senate to call for $540 million for universal pre-K 9 min ago
- Malaysian Airlines search expands toward Indian Ocean 54 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane