New York News
Little Italy church 1st Basilica in NY Archdiocese
Little Italy (WABC) -- A special honor came to a historic church in Little Italy on Sunday.
Saint Patrick's Old Cathedral on Mulberry Street has become the first Basilica in the New York Archdiocese.
Pope Benedict XVI bestowed the honor on churches of special historical and spiritual significance.
Archbishop Timothy Dolan made it official in a ceremony on Sunday.
The church was featured in the films "Mean Streets" and "Godfather 3."
It was the city's first Roman Catholic cathedral.
This is not New York City's first Basilica, as there is one in Brooklyn. But it is Manhattan's first and the first in the New York Archdiocese.
new york city, st. patrick cathedral, archbishop timothy dolan, pope benedict XVI, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 16 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 16 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 36 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
36 min ago