New York News
Little Italy church 1st Basilica in NY Archdiocese
Little Italy (WABC) -- A special honor came to a historic church in Little Italy on Sunday.
Saint Patrick's Old Cathedral on Mulberry Street has become the first Basilica in the New York Archdiocese.
Pope Benedict XVI bestowed the honor on churches of special historical and spiritual significance.
Archbishop Timothy Dolan made it official in a ceremony on Sunday.
The church was featured in the films "Mean Streets" and "Godfather 3."
It was the city's first Roman Catholic cathedral.
This is not New York City's first Basilica, as there is one in Brooklyn. But it is Manhattan's first and the first in the New York Archdiocese.
new york city, st. patrick cathedral, archbishop timothy dolan, pope benedict XVI, new york news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 45 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos