New York News
Little Italy church 1st Basilica in NY Archdiocese
Little Italy (WABC) -- A special honor came to a historic church in Little Italy on Sunday.
Saint Patrick's Old Cathedral on Mulberry Street has become the first Basilica in the New York Archdiocese.
Pope Benedict XVI bestowed the honor on churches of special historical and spiritual significance.
Archbishop Timothy Dolan made it official in a ceremony on Sunday.
The church was featured in the films "Mean Streets" and "Godfather 3."
It was the city's first Roman Catholic cathedral.
This is not New York City's first Basilica, as there is one in Brooklyn. But it is Manhattan's first and the first in the New York Archdiocese.
new york city, st. patrick cathedral, archbishop timothy dolan, pope benedict XVI, new york news
- Actor James Gandolfini dead at 51 23 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years 26 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013 35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos