New York News
Imam attacked on subway train
LOWER MANHATTAN (WABC) -- Police have arrested two men for allegedly beating up an Imam in a racially fueled attack on a Lower Manhattan subway train.
Investigators said the two men accosted the 49-year-old victim as they all rode the northbound A train at 3:35 a.m. Wednesday.
For unknown reasons, the men started using anti-Muslim names and slurs.
The verbal abuse then turned physical, police said, with the two men ganging up on the Imam.
The fight spilled onto the Canal Street station platform, and the Imam was pushed to the ground.
He suffered minor bruises, but refused medical attention.
Police arrested 30-year-old Albert Melendez of Harlem and 28-year-old Eddie Crespo of Staten Island.
They are charged with assault as a hate crime and related offenses.
new york city, lower manhattan, subway crime, subway, hate crime, crime, assault, arrest, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 56 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 55 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act 44 min ago