New York News
Imam attacked on subway train
LOWER MANHATTAN (WABC) -- Police have arrested two men for allegedly beating up an Imam in a racially fueled attack on a Lower Manhattan subway train.
Investigators said the two men accosted the 49-year-old victim as they all rode the northbound A train at 3:35 a.m. Wednesday.
For unknown reasons, the men started using anti-Muslim names and slurs.
The verbal abuse then turned physical, police said, with the two men ganging up on the Imam.
The fight spilled onto the Canal Street station platform, and the Imam was pushed to the ground.
He suffered minor bruises, but refused medical attention.
Police arrested 30-year-old Albert Melendez of Harlem and 28-year-old Eddie Crespo of Staten Island.
They are charged with assault as a hate crime and related offenses.
new york city, lower manhattan, subway crime, subway, hate crime, crime, assault, arrest, new york news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 23 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 23 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit delays due to problems on Portal Bridge
- Snow coming down in New York City 39 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 55 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 3 min ago
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service 2 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos