New York News
Orthodox rabbis issue gag order
CROWN HEIGHTS (WABC) -- In the ultra-orthodox community, conformity is a way of life.
That is why a series of startling edicts from their leading rabbis are hardly controversial at all.
"Whatever the rabbis say is my position," one man on the street told us.
Determined to maintain good relations with the NYPD, rabbis have issued what critics say amounts to a gag order on the three thousand families who live here.
According to their edicts, any public criticism of the NYPD, including community complaints, must be approved in advance.
Websites must have permission to publish criticism.
Residents must not bring potentially incriminating information about other residents to the media.
The rabbis insist permission must come from the Crown Heights Jewish Community Council, the local liaison with the NYPD.
Most people told us that they support the rabbis, but there are those who say they've gone way too far.
new york city, brooklyn, crown heights, rabbi, orthodox jew, nypd, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado 34 min ago
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack 1 min ago
- Firebomb may have been used on police captain's home
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal 14 min ago
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student 42 min ago
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos