New York News
Orthodox rabbis issue gag order
CROWN HEIGHTS (WABC) -- In the ultra-orthodox community, conformity is a way of life.
That is why a series of startling edicts from their leading rabbis are hardly controversial at all.
"Whatever the rabbis say is my position," one man on the street told us.
Determined to maintain good relations with the NYPD, rabbis have issued what critics say amounts to a gag order on the three thousand families who live here.
According to their edicts, any public criticism of the NYPD, including community complaints, must be approved in advance.
Websites must have permission to publish criticism.
Residents must not bring potentially incriminating information about other residents to the media.
The rabbis insist permission must come from the Crown Heights Jewish Community Council, the local liaison with the NYPD.
Most people told us that they support the rabbis, but there are those who say they've gone way too far.
new york city, brooklyn, crown heights, rabbi, orthodox jew, nypd, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 4 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 57 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 43 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines