New York News
Orthodox rabbis issue gag order
CROWN HEIGHTS (WABC) -- In the ultra-orthodox community, conformity is a way of life.
That is why a series of startling edicts from their leading rabbis are hardly controversial at all.
"Whatever the rabbis say is my position," one man on the street told us.
Determined to maintain good relations with the NYPD, rabbis have issued what critics say amounts to a gag order on the three thousand families who live here.
According to their edicts, any public criticism of the NYPD, including community complaints, must be approved in advance.
Websites must have permission to publish criticism.
Residents must not bring potentially incriminating information about other residents to the media.
The rabbis insist permission must come from the Crown Heights Jewish Community Council, the local liaison with the NYPD.
Most people told us that they support the rabbis, but there are those who say they've gone way too far.
new york city, brooklyn, crown heights, rabbi, orthodox jew, nypd, new york news, n.j. burkett
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players 26 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- LI counterfeit health and beauty products ring busted 15 min ago
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 37 min ago
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos