New York News
Protestors call for removal of Hot 97 DJ
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Apology not accepted. That was the message delivered by a coalition of activists and local leaders who gathered outside the Manhattan offices of radio station Hot 97.
"We are here together to ensure that Mr. Diaz be removed from this station," New York City Councilman Matthieu Eugene said.
"Ciphus Sounds - whatever his mom named him. I don't know what his real name is - is inappropriate. It's unacceptable. It's disgraceful," Carine Jocelyn of Diaspora Community Services said.
D-J Cipha Sounds' on-air comment last week has angered Haitians Americans and others across the city.
"The reason I'm H-I-V negative is because I don't mess with Haitian girls," he said.
He almost immediately issued an on-air apology and Hot 97 posted the apology onYouTube, but activists are adamant that's not enough.
They point to previous questionable broadcasts by Hot 97, such as a song making fun of tsunami victims back in 2005, as examples of the station's failure to be respectful and responsible.
Hot 97 is certainly no stranger to controversy, but has still maintained its popularity. Those gathered here today are hoping this incident might change that.
"If we feel that they are not addressing it, I suggest we take our business and air to another station," New York City Councilman Jumaane Williams said.
Coalition leaders have vowed to keep the pressure on until Sounds is properly disciplined.
Hot 97 management has, so far, not responded to requests for comment.
new york city, controversy, hot 97, haiti, new york news, sandra bookman
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 6 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos