New York News
East New York residents still buried in snow
EAST NEW YORK, Brooklyn (WABC) -- East New York's side streets are some of the worst Eyewitness News has seen since the storm began, and it doesn't seem likely the city will plow all of them by 7 a.m. Thursday.
Several cars were seen fishtailing through untouched side streets.
The all-powerful Hummer was rendered powerless in knee deep snow.
Plows couldn't pass in the area but they had a clear shot at scores of streets that are still untouched.
The city's sanitation director said at a news conference that help is coming and promised they'd clear everything by 7 a.m. Thursday.
"Most will be done by 7 o'clock tonight, but I'm not going to mark them complete until tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. I expect we will have all the streets in New York City plowed. Will somebody find a street I missed? Maybe," Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty said.
But, East New York City Councilman Charles Barron doesn't believe that claim.
"That's a bunch of garbage. It will be another week or two before we are cleaned, the priority is Manhattan and the Theater District," Barron said.
East New York has two sanitation plow garages but two drivers told Eyewitness News they were off to plow somewhere else.
In nearby Queens, trucks were re-plowing an already cleared street leaving many East New Yorkers stuck.
"We're paying taxes for this," said one resident.
"This is our street, you can't get through here," said another resident.
The East New York Councilman is demanding an investigation.
He and his fellow taxpayers can't understand why so many streets are still buried four days after the storm.
new york city, blizzard, food, snow, snow storm, brooklyn, east new york, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
34 min ago