New York News
Police make big marijuana bust in the Bronx
BEDFORD PARK (WABC) -- At 382 East 197th Street, members of a multi-agency drug task force loaded bags full of marijuana plants into a minivan.
It's part of a drug investigation that on this day netted 1.5 million dollars worth of marijuana.
All of it was stashed in two apartments in one building.
If residents were in the dark before the raid, they've now seen the light.
Literally, neighbors could see a bright light coming from in the two apartments. Authorities say someone had set up a hydroponics lab.
They were growing the marijuana right here on the 4th and 5th floors of the building with children and families in nearby apartments.
Law enforcement officials tell us there are more of these marijuana labs in city apartments than you might think.
Law enforcement says the price of marijuana has gone up and as a result more indoor labs like these are sprouting up in the city.
So while it is significant, officials say it is only the tip of the iceberg.
In this case, members of the NYPD, DEA and New York State Police seized about 200 marijuana plants.
Now that they have the drugs, they say the arrests are pending.
new york city, bronx, drug bust, marijuana, new york news, jeff pegues
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Small school bus overturns in Brooklyn 5 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 24 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 7 min ago
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 27 min ago
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins 28 min ago
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
7 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
28 min ago