New York News
Police make big marijuana bust in the Bronx
BEDFORD PARK (WABC) -- At 382 East 197th Street, members of a multi-agency drug task force loaded bags full of marijuana plants into a minivan.
It's part of a drug investigation that on this day netted 1.5 million dollars worth of marijuana.
All of it was stashed in two apartments in one building.
If residents were in the dark before the raid, they've now seen the light.
Literally, neighbors could see a bright light coming from in the two apartments. Authorities say someone had set up a hydroponics lab.
They were growing the marijuana right here on the 4th and 5th floors of the building with children and families in nearby apartments.
Law enforcement officials tell us there are more of these marijuana labs in city apartments than you might think.
Law enforcement says the price of marijuana has gone up and as a result more indoor labs like these are sprouting up in the city.
So while it is significant, officials say it is only the tip of the iceberg.
In this case, members of the NYPD, DEA and New York State Police seized about 200 marijuana plants.
Now that they have the drugs, they say the arrests are pending.
new york city, bronx, drug bust, marijuana, new york news, jeff pegues
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen