New York News
Mayor: Let livery cabs pick up fares in outer boroughs
NEW YORK -- New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says he wants to make sure outer-borough residents can hail a cab.
His proposal to allow some livery cabs to accept street hails in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island comes after he was criticized for leaving parts of those areas snowbound while Manhattan largely returned to normal.
Bloomberg says outer-borough residents should be able to hail a legal cab just like they can in Manhattan.
The proposal will be included in the mayor's State of the City speech Wednesday. It would require participating livery cabs to install meters and credit card readers.
Bhairavi Desai of the advocacy group New York Taxi Workers Alliance says yellow-cab drivers will lose income.
new york city, livery cab, new york news
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 25 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos