New York News
Dead woman's kin to sue NYC over blizzard response
NEW YORK -- A woman who says her mother could still be alive if it weren't for New York's poor response to a Christmas weekend blizzard plans to sue the city.
A lawyer for Laura Freeman filed a notice of claim against the city and several agencies Wednesday. The notice is the first step in filing a civil suit.
Lawyer Sanford Rubenstein says Yvonne Freeman died from a heart attack on Dec. 27 while waiting hours for an ambulance.
Laura Freeman plans to file a $20 million wrongful-death lawsuit.
The city's Law Department says the case involves a "tragic situation." It says it's awaiting the legal papers.
The blizzard dumped 20 inches of snow in some parts of the city.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg has said the city's cleanup was handled poorly.
new york city, blizzard, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 10 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 4 min ago
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash 17 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos