New York News
2 Brooklyn men arrested for sex trafficking
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Two men from Brooklyn are under arrest and charged with running a sex trafficking ring.
Prosecutors say the suspects forced teenage girls into prostitution, beat them, and branded them with tattoos.
"The way she dressed, the way she started talking, she just wasn't the same, it was like she was losing her mind," said the victim's sister.
The girl's family asked not to be identified, but they told reporters that the district attorney's hotline may have saved her life.
They called Brooklyn prosecutors desperate for help.
D.A. Charles Hynes says the girl had been lured away as a sex-slave.
"He told her that she had to make at least $1,000 per night, and he beat her and threatened to kill her when didn't do so," said Charles Hynes, the Kings County District Attorney.
Hynes says Arctic Rogers and an accomplice are charged with using the internet to prostitute young, underage girls.
At times they even forced them to walk the streets of Brooklyn.
Prosecutors say they threatened them, and their families, if they tried to leave.
"He forced the 17 year-old watch as he tortured animals, burning them, electrocuting them, and strangling them, and he explained that if she didn't comply with his rules he would do the same to her," Hynes said.
Hynes says at least one girl was tattooed with his street name.
Family members say the healing will take time.
"It's going to take a slow, a lot of time, to get back to where we once were," said the victim's father.
The men are charged in connection with two victims so far, and could face up to 25 years in prison if convicted.
But, prosecutors say there were many others victims and this investigation is not over.
new york city, brooklyn, sex crime, sex trafficking, arrest, new york news, n.j. burkett
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall