New York News
Accused hit & run driver detained by Good Samaritans
BENSONHURST, Brooklyn (WABC) -- A 52-year-old man, accused of a deadly hit and run, is under arrest thanks to some good Samaritans in Brooklyn.
Police say Mario Vasquez struck two women as they were crossing the intersection of Bath Avenue and 18th Avenue in Bensonhurst.
One of the victims was Maria Prikul, 80.
Prikul later died at the hospital.
Investigators say Vasquez tried to get away but was held by a group of witnesses.
He is charged with reckless endangerment, leaving the scene with a fatality and unauthorized use of a vehicle.
new york city, bensonhurst, brooklyn, hit and run accident, arrest, new york news
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 6 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 8 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 54 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 43 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos