New York News
Queens residents welcome Year of the Rabbit
ELMHURST, Queens (WABC) -- In Queens Saturday, they were drumming in the Lunar New Year.
Farewell to the Year of the Tiger and welcome to the Year of the Rabbit.
The celebration was held at C.C. Moore Homestead Park in Elmhurst and featured traditional Korean drumming and a lion dance.
The lion dance is believed to usher in good fortune and ward off evil spirits.
The rabbit is the fourth animal in the 12-year cycle of the Chinese Zodiac and it represents compassion, opportunity and grace.
new york city, queens, new year, new york news
- Missing plane may have turned back
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 38 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 1 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014