New York News
Brooklyn Bridge roadwork to continue through Saturday
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Due to damage from the winter storms, the DOT began emergency roadwork on the Brooklyn Bridge Wednesday.
All Manhattan-bound traffic will be detoured during the overnight hours through Saturday.
The resurfacing project will work on the Brooklyn approaches, with Manhattan to follow.
The work includes milling existing pavement, pothole repair, new asphalt riding surfaces and new pavement markings.
This effort supplements the overall rehabilitation of the Brooklyn Bridge ramps and approaches.
The work will occur from Wednesday, February 9 until Saturday, February 12, and will result in overnight and Saturday detours of Manhattan-bound traffic.
All Manhattan-bound traffic will be detoured from 11 p.m. until 6 a.m. overnight on Wednesday and Thursday, and from 12:01 a.m. until roughly 6 p.m. on Saturday. In the event of rain, work will continue on Sunday.
During this work, all Manhattan-bound traffic will be detoured to other crossings: the Manhattan Bridge, Williamsburg Bridge, or the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (a toll facility).
The Brooklyn-bound contraflow operation will be in effect, and all Brooklyn-bound traffic will travel on the north roadway.
Download the Brooklyn Bridge brochure for up-to-date traffic change routes in both directions.
In two locations, the closures will begin slightly earlier to allow for set-up of this bridge closure.
- The Brooklyn Bridge/Frankfort Street exit from the northbound FDR Drive may be closed at 10 pm Sunday to Thursday, and at 11 pm on Friday and Saturday. Drivers may access the bridge from Centre Street.
The Brooklyn Bridge exit from the eastbound Brooklyn-Queens Expressway may be closed at 10:30 pm Sunday to Thursday, and 11:30 pm Friday and Saturday. Drivers may access the bridge from Adams Street.
- In addition, there will be a maximum of 24 full weekend closures of the Manhattan-bound roadway, beginning at 12:01 am Saturday through to 5:00 am Monday, for 53 hours.
There are currently no scheduled weekend closures; however, please contact email@example.com or phone 347-647-0876 to be added to the notification network.
There will be no weekend closures during special events such as the New York Marathon, the Five Boro Bike Tour, or the Holiday Construction Embargo.
During the full closures, DOT anticipates heavy usage of the adjacent Manhattan Bridge. To reduce congestion, Manhattan-bound travelers are encouraged to:
- Plan carefully to avoid the need to enter Manhattan on closure weekends. For an up-to-date schedule of closures, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 347-647-0876.
- Use the subway. Visit http://tripplanner.mta.info/ for more routes and schedules.
- Use alternate routes, such as the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel or the Williamsburg Bridge.
For travelers that use the Manhattan Bridge, there are a number of official detour routes, on which traffic agents will be stationed and parking regulations will be temporarily altered, in order to help you access your final destination.
A downloadable brochure (pdf) describes the expected traffic route detours and closure times that will be in effect during the overnight and weekend closures of the Brooklyn Bridge.
Please note, depending on the phase of work, the full closure may not be in effect every night. On nights without a full closure, a partial two-lane closure may be used instead.
During the rehabilitation work, drivers will always be able to reach Brooklyn via the Brooklyn Bridge.
When work is being done on the Brooklyn-bound lanes (south roadway), a "contraflow" operation will be in effect. Traffic will be detoured to the the north roadway in order to reach Brooklyn.
Signage and barriers will direct motorists to safely enter and exit the bridge. Brooklyn-bound drivers can use the following entrances and exits to and from the north roadway while the contraflow operation is in effect.
new york city, brooklyn bridge, new york news
- Winter Weather Advisory 40 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 39 min ago
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 20 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform 53 min ago
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
39 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
40 min ago