New York News
Elevator out in Bronx building for 2 months
BRONX (WABC) -- Residents say for the last two months the elevator in their six-story apartment building in the High Bridge section of the Bronx has been out.
"This is terrible," said one resident.
For the seniors and the disabled living inside the 36 apartments, it has been more than inconvenience.
"I am prisoner in my own home," said another resident.
Rosa Batista is desperate.
She and her family live on the 6th floor.
Her 10-year-old son has Cerebral Palsy and without the kindness of neighbors to help bring him up and down the stairs, she would not have survived this long.
In Spanish, she pleaded with the owners of the building to please fix the elevator because it is very hard on her and her family.
The building's management company sent the tenants a letter stating it was trying to fix the problem.
It blamed having to file permits and wait for inspections for the delay.
The letter warned it could take another month before service is returned.
Residents have do have an option, they can use the working elevator on the other side of the building, cross over the roof and come down on the side with broken elevator.
But for most, that is not really an option.
"They have got to fix this," said a resident.
Eyewitness News called the management company of the building, but no one returned our call.
Meanwhile, the residents wait.
new york city, bronx, new york news, david novarro
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- Amanda Bynes arrested, allegedly tosses bong out window
- Man fatally stabbed during dispute in Chelsea
- Man beaten by subway performers on F train in Astoria
- Brooklyn robber terrorizing teens with knife, box cutter
- Police hunt for man targeting Queens change machines
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos