New York News
NYC sale of Lena Horne's belongings nets $316,000
NEW YORK -- The estate of sultry jazz singer and actress Lena Horne has sold some of the fancy gowns, jewelry, fine art and books that filled her New York City apartment.
The auction of more than 200 items brought a sales total of $316,000 Wednesday at the Doyle New York auction house. That was double the total the sale was expected to bring in.
Among the items sold was a small Louis Vuitton trunk with stickers inscribed "Lena Horne Hayton" that went for $20,000. It had been estimated at up to $700.
Other items also sold well above their estimated. A reversible mink coat by Horne's favorite designer, Giorgio di Sant' Angelo, sold for $8,125. It had been estimated to bring in up to $500.
But an abstract painting by artist Charles Alston that was expected to bring up to $50,000 was sold for $20,000.
Horne died in May at age 92.
new york city, auction, new york news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach 17 min ago
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat 15 min ago
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 8 min ago
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Secret Service investigating Target data...
17 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
17 min ago
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos