New York News
Cops: Fabricated kidnapping sparks massive search
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- A mother is being questioned after she told police a livery driver took off with her 4-year-old daughter in Brooklyn, sparking a massive overnight search.
But detectives later determined the Newark woman's story was made up and was part of an ongoing domestic dispute.
The woman initially told police that she left her daughter in the back seat of a livery car at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Lincoln Road at around 11:45 p.m. Thursday.
She said she went into a store, and when she came out, the black Lincoln Town Car was gone.
Police searched overnight for the girl, stopping black livery cars and asking dispatchers to check with their drivers.
After hours of questioning, detectives realized the woman's claims were untrue. Her daughter was located safe at another home.
new york city, brooklyn, kidnapping, new york news
- Missing plane may have turned back 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 56 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
35 min ago