New York News
NYC homeless man finds daughter through Twitter
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A homeless man has located his daughter that he has not seen in 11 years by using Twitter.
It was an emotional reunion in Bryant Park. Daniel Morales hadn't seen his daughter for 11 years and he had never seen his grandchildren before today.
And the homeless man has Twitter to thank for it.
"This is a great moment for myself. I feel rejoiced. To be with my daughter after 11 years," said Morales.
The 58-year-old Morales had been homeless for two months but before that he had lost all hope of seeing his daughter again after he and the mother of his child broke up more than a decade ago.
But all that changed when some good Samaritans gave him a phone.
A group called "Underheard in New York" picked out four men living at the Rescue Mission in lower Manhattan and gave them $40 dollar pre-paid phones with a month of unlimited texting.
The group wants to give the homeless a voice and taught Morales how to use the phone to send and receive messages on twitter.
He quickly got into it and went in search of his long lost daughter and it worked. A friend told Sarah Rivera she spotted her father's messages on twitter and yesterday, they finally reconnected on the phone.
Morales does not know what the future holds for him, but he has is grateful he at least has had a chance to be reunited with his family.
Morales resides at the New York City Rescue Mission. His daughter lives in Brooklyn.
new york city, new york news, david novarro
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's 22 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers 59 min ago
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack 2 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 21 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 19 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
21 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
19 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos