New York News
Record number of potholes throughout NYC
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Department of Transportation says they are repairing a record number of potholes this year.
The mother of all pot holes us swallowing cars here on West End Ave.
"They're deep, they're frequent and they come over night," said city council member James Vacca.
This winter with cars and trucks punished by potholes, the city is making record repairs.
"We have already filled almost 117,000 potholes, roughly 62-percent more than the number we filled in the same period last year," said DOT Commissioner David Woloch.
Pothole pandemonium city council members call it as they were filled in by D.O.T. experts who also reveal the number of pothole complaints is up 35 percent.
"The average time is a little less than three days. We get to most of them in four days. That's about 75 percent of the complaints," said Galileo Orlando, Dpty. Commisioner of Roadway Maintenance. He adds, "We get to about 95 percent of the complaints in 14 days."
An additional two million dollars is being put to the pothole effort with crews working more days and longer hours.
And if you think one borough has more pot hole problems than the next, DOT says it's bad all over.
To file a claim, go to CLICK HERE.
new york city, pothole, new york city budget, new york city politics, michael bloomberg, new york news
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad 14 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 15 min ago
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build 59 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos