New York News
Woman in coma after fight over parking spot
EAST VILLAGE (WABC) -- A suspect is behind bars after police say he beat a woman into a coma in a fight over a parking space.
People we talked to were horrified when they heard the news that 35-year-old Oscar Fuller of Jamaica, Queens allegedly punched a young woman in the face after she was standing to reserve a parking space on East 14th Street.
Now, 25-year-old Lana Rosas, who lives in the Bronx, is at Bellvue Hospital in a coma, fighting for her life.
According to the criminal complaint against the man who punched her, "the woman might die... or if she recovers, she will have permanent brain damage."
"If there was anything he could do to make this situation right and make this better, he would do it," defense attorney Thomas Kenniff said.
Fuller's lawyer told us that his client admits he punched Rosas, but only because the petite woman was attacking and hitting him first.
"Absolutely, several times, and we have the injuries to prove it," Kenniff said.
Those who know Rosas are not so sure of that, saying she is a quiet, small woman.
Still, the defense attorney says he believes surveillance video from this block will prove his client's point.
Regarding the woman's tragic injuries after she fell on the pavement, Fuller's lawyer takes an even harder line.
"The bottom line is that if anybody punches someone else in the face, no one can anticipate or reasonably foresee that the person is gonna be knocked unconscious, hit their head on the floor and crack their head on the pavement," he said.
Relatives of Rosas and her boyfriend are so upset, they did not want to talk to reporters today.
new york city, east village, assault, new york news, stacey sager
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos